- In 1980, President Jimmy Carter signed the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980, which provided grants directly to community mental health centers. Though, it was short- lived.
- Between 2009 and 2012, the US legislatures cut a total of nearly $4.5 billion in services for the mentally ill, even though patient intakes increased by nearly 10%.
- 6 out of 10 states with the least access to mental health care also have the highest rates of incarceration.
- 73% of women and 55% of men have at least one mental health problem in state prisons.
- 61% of women and 44% of men have at least one mental health problem in federal prisons.
If you would like to read more about the mental health system in relation to the courts, here are some additional resources:
Hannah Sutherland, MA, LPA (Temp)
WKPIC Doctoral Intern